The Daily BriefEvening Briefing · Tuesday 18 August 2026 · 12:00 BST
Evening Briefing · Tuesday 18 August 2026

UN Warns of Civilian Toll as Israel Strikes South Lebanon

The UN peacekeeping force UNIFIL said an average of 137 projectiles a day were fired into southern Lebanon between 5 and 16 August, warning that civilians are “once again paying the highest price”. Israeli strikes on 15 August killed at least 11 people, including three children and two women, in what Israel said was an operation against the family of a senior Hezbollah commander. Lebanon puts the death toll since March at 4,346.

Dive deeper

The UN’s decision to quantify the bombardment, at 137 strikes a day for a fortnight, reframes the violence from isolated reprisals into a systematic erosion of the ceasefire meant to hold after March. Each Israeli operation is cast as a response to Hezbollah provocation, and each Hezbollah action as resistance to occupation, a cycle that has already displaced families and killed children. With Israel’s defence minister vowing to “settle scores” and Hezbollah bruised but unbroken, the danger is a slide back to the open warfare of last year. Watch whether the UN’s warning prompts any restraint, or whether the daily strikes harden into a new front.

More from this briefing →