Trump — Iran Deal “Largely Negotiated”; Hormuz Reopening Claimed
President Donald Trump said on Saturday night that a memorandum of understanding on a peace deal with Iran has been “largely negotiated”, with details to be unveiled soon. “Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly,” Trump said on his Truth Social platform. Trump posted that the emerging agreement would reopen the Strait of Hormuz. He said he had spoken with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain, and separately with Israel. The Gulf and regional leaders encouraged Trump to agree to the emerging framework.
Trump said earlier on Saturday he was holding off on a military strike against Iran because “serious negotiations” were underway, and at the request of allies in the Middle East. The Trump “largely negotiated” framing is the most explicit US-side optimism of the post-ceasefire period. A regional official with direct knowledge of the Pakistan-led mediation efforts described the deal contents: an official declaration of the war’s end, a two-month window for negotiations on Iran’s nuclear programme, the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, and the end of the US blockade of Iranian ports. The framework would unfold in three stages: ending the war, resolving the Hormuz crisis, and launching a 30-day broader-agreement window that can be extended.