Evening Briefing: Saturday 23 May 2026
- Pakistan’s Chief of Defence Forces Field Marshal Asim Munir concluded a “short but highly productive” visit to Tehran on Saturday, Pakistan’s military said, with “encouraging progress” towards a final understanding. But Iran’s top negotiator, Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, told Munir Iran “will not compromise on national rights” and called the United States “not an honest party”. Qalibaf warned Iran’s armed forces had “rebuilt their capabilities during the ceasefire” and if Washington “foolishly restarts the war”, the consequences would be “more forceful and bitter” than at the start. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran is in the “final stages of drafting a framework” with a 30-to-60-day timeline for memorandum-of-understanding details — but “deep and significant” disagreements remain.
- Andy Burnham’s first weekend of Makerfield campaigning has begun. Wes Streeting, who resigned from the Cabinet earlier this month, said in an interview in an interview overnight he had “the numbers including ministers” to launch a leadership bid against Sir Keir Starmer but held off “to give Andy Burnham the chance” to fight Makerfield. “If I’d rushed ahead and triggered a leadership contest before Andy Burnham had the chance to come back, people would have just said I was trying to pull a fast one,” Streeting said in an interview. Streeting also unveiled his “first campaign pledges”: fund the full restoration of Sure Start, paid for by a wealth tax.
- Iran has launched an “information operation” to frame its protection-racket scheme in the Strait of Hormuz as a legitimate maritime security service. Vessels dealing with Iran’s Persian Gulf Strait Authority have sometimes received payment requests of up to $2 million for safe passage; Reuters reports most ships pay around $150,000. Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE have jointly written to the International Maritime Organization warning that any recognition of Iran’s proposed transit rules “would set a dangerous precedent”. Brent eased to $102.30 at Friday’s close, ten-year gilts at 5.02%; markets re-open Monday with Iran-Pakistan diplomacy as the operational variable.
Qalibaf to Munir — “Will Not Compromise”; US “Not Honest Party”
Iran’s top negotiator, Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, told Pakistan’s Chief of Defence Forces Field Marshal Asim Munir during talks in Tehran on Saturday that the United States was “not an honest party” in negotiations to end t…
Pakistan Army “Encouraging Progress”; Baghaei — Framework in 30-60 Days
Pakistan’s military said in a statement on Saturday that Field Marshal Munir had concluded a “short but highly productive” official visit to Iran, during which “encouraging progress” was made towards reaching a final understanding. Iranian…
Iran “Information Operation”; Vessels Paying $150K-$2M for Hormuz Transit
Iran has launched an information operation to frame its protection racket in the Strait of Hormuz as a legitimate maritime security service. The Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps Navy claimed on 22 May that 35 vessels transited the strait…
Five Gulf States Joint IMO Statement; “Dangerous Precedent”
Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have jointly written in a statement to the International Maritime Organization that Iran appears to be attempting “to control traffic” through the Strait of Hormuz by forcin…
France Drafts UNSC Resolution for International Hormuz Mission
France has drafted a United Nations Security Council resolution proposing an international mission to restore shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. A competing US-Bahraini proposal faces resistance from Russia and China, which have signal…
First Weekend of Makerfield Campaigning Begins
The first weekend of campaigning is set to get under way in Makerfield, in a by-election that Andy Burnham has said could “change Labour”. Burnham, who is viewed as a challenger to Sir Keir Starmer in a potential Labour leadership race, la…
Streeting’s Mirror Interview — “Numbers Including Ministers”
Wes Streeting, who resigned from the Cabinet earlier this month, said in an interview in an interview overnight that he had “the numbers including ministers” to launch a leadership bid against Sir Keir Starmer but held off “to give Andy Bu…
Burnham — PR + Council Tax Reform; “Honour Manifestos”
Andy Burnham used the launch of his Makerfield campaign to commit publicly for the first time to wanting a proportional representation pledge in the next Labour manifesto, and to back council tax reform. Asked about the 2024 manifesto, Bur…
Starmer Says “100% Behind” Burnham; Will Campaign in Makerfield
Sir Keir Starmer said on Thursday he would campaign personally in the Makerfield by-election for Andy Burnham. “I want to be part of that, of course I do,” Starmer told reporters. “I’ve said to the whole Labour movement that I want everybo…