Burnham Confirmed as Labour’s Makerfield Candidate; 18 June Vote
Andy Burnham was today confirmed as Labour’s candidate for the Makerfield by-election expected on 18 June, after Labour’s National Executive Committee rubber-stamped his selection. The party said no other candidates had been shortlisted for the seat vacated by Josh Simons. Burnham said in a statement that he was “humbled” to be selected; that the Makerfield communities had been “neglected by national politics for too long”; that the people there “feel Westminster isn’t working for them and they are right”; and that the priority was making “life more affordable again”. He is widely expected to challenge Sir Keir Starmer for the leadership if elected.
The selection coincides with the Independent’s reporting today of a YouGov poll showing 47% of Labour members would back Burnham for prime minister, against Sir Keir Starmer at significantly lower numbers — broadly consistent with the Times/YouGov head-to-head poll yesterday showing Burnham 59% to Starmer 37% in a direct ballot. Allies of the mayor said in an interview he would use this week to set out his economic agenda, to rule out any imminent EU return, and to recommit to the fiscal rules on borrowing and debt — the same three-step pivot framed in this morning’s FT “Burnham tries to ease markets” lead. The Greens will name a candidate Wednesday evening; the Conservatives within 24 hours.